Monday, September 21, 2009

becoming the right person.....

so, attended a single conference this past weekend in dallas. not going to lie, a little disheartening. dance on saturday - only one person asked me to dance and it was on the last dance mind you. and it went something like this....

boy (emphasis on the word boy) walks up to me and my dear friend melissa
"either one of you want to dance?"
melissa proceeds to back away and let me have honor....

nice.

and maybe 3 people even introduced themselves to me...and all weekend i smiled and made eye contact with many who just looked and walked on by. sweet.

after much pondering and a big band-aid to my self esteem, i had an epiphany. that this weekend was not about finding even one person to even consider asking me for my number (not even a date - just my info). it was about finding some great new girlfriends, spending time and getting to know a new dear friend melissa, and hearing a member of the first presidency speak to us. President Uchtdorf came and spoke to us on sunday night. absolutely amazing. i took many things away from his remarks to us - but one i will share. i need to stop spending time looking for the right/perfect guy and instead become the right/perfect girl. putting Heavenly Father first and choosing the best things to fill my life will lead me to happiness and i am sure, someone to share it with. i just have to do all i can. looks like i will be getting more active in the areas activities and institute.

goals for week: become perfect, get more involved.

another thought i really enjoyed from the fireside is that i have the power to choose. i have a hard time being positive sometimes. but even if things aren't going well, i have the power to choose to be positive. i can be in a bad mood and complain and whine. i can say things will be better when i graduate, get married, buy a house, have another kid, get out of debt etc......but no. i have to choose to be happy now. because with each new phase in life, comes a new set of problems. and i will be wishing away all phases of my life to find happiness unless i stop and choose to enjoy the happiness in this phase of my life.

p.s. President Uchtdorf is my fav, best fireside of my existence thus far.

7 comments:

  1. I have the SAME goals this week!!! ;) We should all have the same goals...I love your epiphany. It has taken most of us way longer to figure out that life doesn't change very much because you reach a different stage. I've been happy or sad or grumpy or joyful in spite of what the description of my life is at the time. Thanks for sharing - excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! Glad I discovered your blog! And maybe you should take more than one week to be perfect... like 3 weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thoughts, Tara. SO glad you were able to see Pres. Uchtdorf this weekend. I thought of you there and wished I was with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK first off...I want to speak with some of these guys that just walked right past you without noticing. You are GORGEOUS and are looking SMOKING these days...but you have always been gorgeous to me.

    Secondly, that is AWESOME that you got to hear Uchtdorf. I am JEALOUS.

    Third, you are awesome and I love you. I miss hanging with you and I need it more than ever now haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well it looks like the confrence was worth your time in the end. That's a HUGE lesson to learn. Knowing the formula is only half the battle, now actually applying it is the difficult part.

    It's hard not to get caught up in the "if only this were different" mind set. It's true though, only one thing brings TRUE happiness, and that is us choosing to be happy, grateful, and forgiving.

    Just so you know, if I was at that dance/conference I would not of talked to you, I wouldn't of talked to any girls. I've always been way to scared to talk to girls. Ya'll are just way too intimidating. Why do you think I met Heather online.

    So what I mean to say is, although you were there, you were smiling, and you were making eye contact, that doesn't mean there weren't guys who were interested, they could of just been scared. Sometimes YOU have to be the one to say hi and start the conversation with guys YOU are interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to pipe in again and say that I think Shane is right on with his observations. I have told you so many times that a tall, beautiful and confident blond can be intimidating. It does not mean that they're not interested!

    ReplyDelete